(Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Atletius on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:35 am

As you are all well aware, the current legislative system calls for a debating period before a voting period. This works well for most situations, however there are cases this should not have to happen. For example in cases of Regional Danger (OOC ie zombies thing) and conflict, for example the Regornia Crisis, were a decisive international action is needed as quickly as possible.

Atletius proposes there be a system out in place to allow some pieces of legislation to go straight to vote, rather than waste time debating.

If there is support for this idea we will draft a bill for it.
avatar
Atletius
Powerbroker

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-11-04
Location : United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Texania on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:25 am

Atletius wrote:As you are all well aware, the current legislative system calls for a debating period before a voting period. This works well for most situations, however there are cases this should not have to happen. For example in cases of Regional Danger (OOC ie zombies thing) and conflict, for example the Regornia Crisis, were a decisive international action is needed as quickly as possible.

Atletius proposes there be a system out in place to allow some pieces of legislation to go straight to vote, rather than waste time debating.

If there is support for this idea we will draft a bill for it.

Isn't this type of bill more apropriate to be voted on by parliament?
avatar
Texania
Potential World Power

Posts : 641
Join date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Ireland on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 am

Yeah thats what I thought
avatar
Ireland
Recognized Power

Posts : 1327
Join date : 2013-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Macon, Georgia, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_empire_of_ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Atletius on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:54 am

This is just consultations. Most likely a bill proposing something along this lines would have to have to go through parliament yes, maybe even the Council too. But this is just for discussions.
avatar
Atletius
Powerbroker

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-11-04
Location : United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Federation of Antanares on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:03 am

I think is not necessary a bill or law about. The speaker of the parliament, in the case of bill that must enact for the situations described by Atletius, can eliminate the debating period and star immediately the voting period.
avatar
Federation of Antanares
Potential World Power

Posts : 580
Join date : 2013-07-14
Location : Roma, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Great Eurussia on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am

Atletius wrote:This is just consultations. Most likely a bill proposing something along this lines would have to have to go through parliament yes, maybe even the Council too. But this is just for discussions.

Well doing so will be a violation of Constitution, but to evade that, since the Council forms part from the Parliament which can always be dissolved via no confidence vote from Parliament, and since no one can determine which is emergency or not, 

Any member state of Parliament (Council as well) can seek for an emergency action from the WA Council, provided that such emergency act is UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED by the entire WA Council and has no existing international law to base upon citing emergency.


And to avoid abuse of power, if ever so, the WA Court of Justice will have the power to VETO that emergency act via UNANIMOUS VOTE from the court members.

What do you think?
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Texania on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Great Eurussia wrote:
Atletius wrote:This is just consultations. Most likely a bill proposing something along this lines would have to have to go through parliament yes, maybe even the Council too. But this is just for discussions.

Well doing so will be a violation of Constitution, but to evade that, since the Council forms part from the Parliament which can always be dissolved via no confidence vote from Parliament, and since no one can determine which is emergency or not, 

Any member state of Parliament (Council as well) can seek for an emergency action from the WA Council, provided that such emergency act is UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED by the entire WA Council and has no existing international law to base upon citing emergency.


And to avoid abuse of power, if ever so, the WA Court of Justice will have the power to VETO that emergency act via UNANIMOUS VOTE from the court members.

What do you think?

I do believe that what you are proposing has a serious flaw. If a bill against a certain nation, such as a global embargo, were proposed, and that certain nation is in the council, then he could vote against and buy himself time, even if the rest of the WA wants to embargo that nation.
avatar
Texania
Potential World Power

Posts : 641
Join date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Great Eurussia on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Spoiler:

Texania wrote:
Great Eurussia wrote:
Atletius wrote:This is just consultations. Most likely a bill proposing something along this lines would have to have to go through parliament yes, maybe even the Council too. But this is just for discussions.

Well doing so will be a violation of Constitution, but to evade that, since the Council forms part from the Parliament which can always be dissolved via no confidence vote from Parliament, and since no one can determine which is emergency or not, 

Any member state of Parliament (Council as well) can seek for an emergency action from the WA Council, provided that such emergency act is UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED by the entire WA Council and has no existing international law to base upon citing emergency.


And to avoid abuse of power, if ever so, the WA Court of Justice will have the power to VETO that emergency act via UNANIMOUS VOTE from the court members.

What do you think?

I do believe that what you are proposing has a serious flaw. If a bill against a certain nation, such as a global embargo, were proposed, and that certain nation is in the council, then he could vote against and buy himself time, even if the rest of the WA wants to embargo that nation.

Well it is not what I thought of actually. I was just thinking of balancing the power in exercising that emergency act. But if that is the case, that is politics in the international level I would say.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Europe and Asia on Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:41 pm

Texania wrote:
Great Eurussia wrote:
Atletius wrote:This is just consultations. Most likely a bill proposing something along this lines would have to have to go through parliament yes, maybe even the Council too. But this is just for discussions.

Well doing so will be a violation of Constitution, but to evade that, since the Council forms part from the Parliament which can always be dissolved via no confidence vote from Parliament, and since no one can determine which is emergency or not, 

Any member state of Parliament (Council as well) can seek for an emergency action from the WA Council, provided that such emergency act is UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED by the entire WA Council and has no existing international law to base upon citing emergency.


And to avoid abuse of power, if ever so, the WA Court of Justice will have the power to VETO that emergency act via UNANIMOUS VOTE from the court members.

What do you think?

I do believe that what you are proposing has a serious flaw. If a bill against a certain nation, such as a global embargo, were proposed, and that certain nation is in the council, then he could vote against and buy himself time, even if the rest of the WA wants to embargo that nation.

Firstly, the court can declare that the said individual is temporarily void of their duties should the offense be serious enough, and secondly, if the fear of such an event occurring is merited, then attach a clause to the bill stating that an individual nation on the council must abstain if there is a conflict of interest.
avatar
Europe and Asia
Emerging Power

Posts : 881
Join date : 2013-03-13
Age : 42
Location : Ann Arbor, MI

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  New Tarajan on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:21 pm

The idea of Eurussia is good, and it's even better with the clauses proposed by Eurasia. I believe it could be interesting to put it into a bill (or something similar).
avatar
New Tarajan
Recognized Power

Posts : 1340
Join date : 2013-06-23
Location : Rome, Italy

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Atletius on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:14 am

Eurussias idea is good and so is Eurasias amendment. With your permission I will use these for the creation of a Bill in this matter.
avatar
Atletius
Powerbroker

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-11-04
Location : United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Great Eurussia on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:01 am

Atletius wrote:Eurussias idea is good and so is Eurasias amendment. With your permission I will use these for the creation of a Bill in this matter.

I also support the proposal of Eurasia.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Atletius on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 am

Would a bill for Eurussias + Eurasias proposals have to go through Parliament or the Council
avatar
Atletius
Powerbroker

Posts : 274
Join date : 2013-11-04
Location : United Kingdom

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Arveyres on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 am

Atletius wrote:Would a bill for Eurussias + Eurasias proposals have to go through Parliament or the Council
I believe it doesn't matter.
avatar
Arveyres
Potential World Power

Posts : 637
Join date : 2013-02-09
Age : 18
Location : Saint Paul, MN, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=holy_patrician_states

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Great Eurussia on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 am

Atletius wrote:Would a bill for Eurussias + Eurasias proposals have to go through Parliament or the Council

Yes of course. Finalizing a bill from the Council being forwarded to the Parliament will give the proposal a strong chance of passage since it has been endorsed by the executive branch. And likely gain yes votes.
Just make a statement that it was endorsed by the WA Council.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Consultations) Emergency Legislation/No Debating Period Bills

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum