(Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Zackalantis on Sun May 04, 2014 3:10 pm

THE WA ELECTION COMMISSION

authored by The Consititutional Monarchy of The United Kingdoms of Zackalantis, Member of the WARP, Member of Parliament.

                                                             PREAMBLE:
The WA Election Commission (WAEC) will be an specilised body of the court, which will handle and run elections to the WA governement, be it Parliament or Council.
This will ensure fairplay and organization.


Section 1.

Article I:
The WAEC will consist of an Election Commissioner as the head and any number of subordinate commissioners he chooses to appoint.

Article II:
The WAEC's election commissioner can only be a judge of the court in office and has a term of 1 year.

Section 2.

Article III:
The powers of the WAEC are as follows;
a) disqualification of candidature
b) barring a nation from participating in elections
c) ammending rules pertaining to elections
d) final athority on matters of dispute regarding elegibilty of candidacy
e) final athority on dispute between parties
f) full governing control over the region during election period


Article IV:
The functions of the WAEC are as follows;
a) to carry out elections to Parliament and Council
b) to solve disputes among candidates and parties
c) governing the region during election period
d) tallying and announcing election results

Article V:
Defines 'Election period' as the time from one week before Parliament elections can begin to the date when Council election results are revealed.

Article VI:
If during ' Election period' the council or parliament must convene for emergency sessions, the WAEC must allow it and must not interefere in affairs. If however the legistlation passed or decision made effects the democracy and fair play of the elections. The WAEC can call the Parliament or Council to reconsider their decision and then if the WAEC is not happy with the reconsidered decision it may declare that legistlation or decision null and void or suspended till election period is concluded.

Section 3.

Article VII:
The WAEC has the right to declare when the 'model code of coduct' is to come into play.

Article VIII:
defines the 'model code of conduct' as rule after which it has been called for, the parliament cannot debate or pass any legistlation.

Article IX:
the model code of conduct can be temporarily dissolved by the WAEC of their own will or followed by a plea from any member of parliament.


Last edited by Zackalantis on Fri May 09, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Posts : 146
Join date : 2014-03-20
Age : 20
Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Ireland on Sun May 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Something like this has already been passed
avatar
Ireland
Recognized Power

Posts : 1327
Join date : 2013-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Macon, Georgia, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_empire_of_ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Zackalantis on Sun May 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Great Empire of Ireland wrote:Something like this has already been passed

i am aware it is called the 'Election regulation Act'.
but this bill calls for the formation of a whole new specialised organ of the court.
avatar
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Posts : 146
Join date : 2014-03-20
Age : 20
Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun May 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Zackalantis wrote:THE WA ELECTION COMMISSION

authored by The Consititutional Monarchy of The United Kingdoms of Zackalantis, Member of the WARP, Member of Parliament.

                                                             PREAMBLE:
The WA Election Commission (WAEC) will be an specilised body of the court, which will handle and run elections to the WA governement, be it Parliament or Council.
This will ensure fairplay and organization.


Section 1.

Article I:
The WAEC will consist of an Election Commissioner as the head and any number of subordinate commissioners he chooses to appoint.

Article II:
The WAEC's election commissioner can only be a judge of the court in office and has a term of 1 year.

Section 2.

Article III:
The powers of the WAEC are as follows;
a) disqualification of candidature
b) barring a nation from participating in elections
c) ammending rules pertaining to elections
d) final athority on matters of dispute regarding elegibilty of candidacy
e) final athority on dispute between parties
f) full governing control over the region during election period


Article IV:
The functions of the WAEC are as follows;
a) to carry out elections to Parliament and Council
b) to solve disputes among candidates and parties
c) governing the region during election period
d) tallying and announcing election results

Article V:
Defines 'Election period' as the time from one week before Parliament elections can begin to the date when Council election results are revealed.

Article VI:
If during ' Election period' the council or parliament must convene for emergency sessions, the WAEC must allow it and must not interefere in affairs. If however the legistlation passed or decision made effects the democracy and fair play of the elections. The WAEC can call the Parliament or Council to reconsider their decision and then if the WAEC is not happy with the reconsidered decision it may declare that legistlation or decision null and void or suspended till election period is concluded.

Section 3.

Article VII:
The WAEC has the right to declare when the 'model code of coduct' is to come into play.

Article VIII:
defines the 'model code of conduct' as rule after which it has been called for, the parliament cannot debate or pass any legistlation.

Article IX:
the model code of conduct can be temporarily dissolved by the WAEC of their own will or followed by a plea from any member of parliament.

Eurussia commends the author of the proposal however, we believe that such format of an election body has been discussed before, yet we won't opposed if ever be discussed again. However, we would just like to note that there is a recently passed law which is presumed to be more efficient when it comes to election administration, it is the Election Regulation Act.
Since we believe that there is nothing to be more transparent with our current election system which forbids any secret ballot and everything is well published for everyone to see from registration, to election, up to the proclamation :-)

avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Ireland on Sun May 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Well either way I am against this
avatar
Ireland
Recognized Power

Posts : 1327
Join date : 2013-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Macon, Georgia, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_empire_of_ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Zackalantis on Sun May 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Great Eurussia wrote:
Zackalantis wrote:THE WA ELECTION COMMISSION

authored by The Consititutional Monarchy of The United Kingdoms of Zackalantis, Member of the WARP, Member of Parliament.

                                                             PREAMBLE:
The WA Election Commission (WAEC) will be an specilised body of the court, which will handle and run elections to the WA governement, be it Parliament or Council.
This will ensure fairplay and organization.


Section 1.

Article I:
The WAEC will consist of an Election Commissioner as the head and any number of subordinate commissioners he chooses to appoint.

Article II:
The WAEC's election commissioner can only be a judge of the court in office and has a term of 1 year.

Section 2.

Article III:
The powers of the WAEC are as follows;
a) disqualification of candidature
b) barring a nation from participating in elections
c) ammending rules pertaining to elections
d) final athority on matters of dispute regarding elegibilty of candidacy
e) final athority on dispute between parties
f) full governing control over the region during election period


Article IV:
The functions of the WAEC are as follows;
a) to carry out elections to Parliament and Council
b) to solve disputes among candidates and parties
c) governing the region during election period
d) tallying and announcing election results

Article V:
Defines 'Election period' as the time from one week before Parliament elections can begin to the date when Council election results are revealed.

Article VI:
If during ' Election period' the council or parliament must convene for emergency sessions, the WAEC must allow it and must not interefere in affairs. If however the legistlation passed or decision made effects the democracy and fair play of the elections. The WAEC can call the Parliament or Council to reconsider their decision and then if the WAEC is not happy with the reconsidered decision it may declare that legistlation or decision null and void or suspended till election period is concluded.

Section 3.

Article VII:
The WAEC has the right to declare when the 'model code of coduct' is to come into play.

Article VIII:
defines the 'model code of conduct' as rule after which it has been called for, the parliament cannot debate or pass any legistlation.

Article IX:
the model code of conduct can be temporarily dissolved by the WAEC of their own will or followed by a plea from any member of parliament.

Eurussia commends the author of the proposal however, we believe that such format of an election body has been discussed before, yet we won't opposed if ever be discussed again. However, we would just like to note that there is a recently passed law which is presumed to be more efficient when it comes to election administration, it is the Election Regulation Act.
Since we believe that there is nothing to be more transparent with our current election system which forbids any secret ballot and everything is well published for everyone to see from registration, to election, up to the proclamation :-)


i agree. the current election system is very transparent and effecient. but it places too much pressure on the secretary general and this bill aims to remove that pressure and also i believe that this system of election will run much more smoothly and much faster.
avatar
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Posts : 146
Join date : 2014-03-20
Age : 20
Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Ireland on Sun May 04, 2014 4:15 pm

No offense to Eurussia but the Sec. General really shouldn't have all that pressure. Im pretty sure he may have some but all he really does is announce elections,end elections, and count and post results. I believe our current system is efficemt enough and this would only add confusion. So I am still against this.
avatar
Ireland
Recognized Power

Posts : 1327
Join date : 2013-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Macon, Georgia, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_empire_of_ireland

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun May 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Great Empire of Ireland wrote:No offense to Eurussia but the Sec. General really shouldn't have all that pressure. Im pretty sure he may have some but all he really does is announce elections,end elections, and count and post results. I believe our current system is efficemt enough and this would only add confusion. So I am still against this.

It's okay. The Secretary General doesn't feel any pressure in handling elections.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Official Debate Period

Post  Kaevi on Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 pm

The official debate period has begun, with an expiration at 00:00 GMT on May 6, 2014. Parliament members are discouraged to voice their final vote during the debate period and votes that do occur must be resubmitted during the voting period.

Once the debate period expires, the voting period will start at 00:00 GMT on May 6, 2014. The voting period will last three days, as required by Article V of the latest World Alliance Constitution. The voting period will end on May 9, 2014 at 00:00 GMT.


Last edited by Kaevi on Sun May 04, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed time format.)
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun May 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Kaevi wrote:The official debate period has begun, with an expiration at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT) on May 6, 2014. Parliament members are discouraged to voice their final vote during the debate period and votes that do occur must be resubmitted during the voting period.

Once the debate period expires, the voting period will start at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT) on May 6, 2014. The voting period will last three days, as required by Article V of the latest World Alliance Constitution. The voting period will end on May 9, 2014 at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT).

Current time for the Speaker:


OOC: Can't we use GMT, since it is the universal time practiced here ever since?
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Zackalantis on Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Kaevi wrote:The official debate period has begun, with an expiration at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT) on May 6, 2014. Parliament members are discouraged to voice their final vote during the debate period and votes that do occur must be resubmitted during the voting period.

Once the debate period expires, the voting period will start at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT) on May 6, 2014. The voting period will last three days, as required by Article V of the latest World Alliance Constitution. The voting period will end on May 9, 2014 at 00:00 UTC-5 (CDT).

Current time for the Speaker:

The Zach delegate raises a point of information.
'what is CDT?'
avatar
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Posts : 146
Join date : 2014-03-20
Age : 20
Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Zackalantis on Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 pm

UKZ strongly believes that there will be no such confusion as to the implementation of this bill.
as with all new things it make take time to get used to this new process but once up and running this new system will be much more effecient than the current system.

avatar
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Posts : 146
Join date : 2014-03-20
Age : 20
Location : Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Kaevi on Sun May 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Zackalantis wrote: The Zach delegate raises a point of information.
'what is CDT?'

Central Daylight Time, a time zone equivalent to UTC-5. I include it so the parliament will know when I will count votes and do other actions at certain times. Personally, I don't like the GMT format used before as the GMT line is five to six hours ahead of me.


EDIT: All times have been changed to use the GMT format.


Last edited by Kaevi on Sun May 04, 2014 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : New time format.)
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Kaevi wrote:
Zackalantis wrote: The Zach delegate raises a point of information.
'what is CDT?'

Central Daylight Time, a time zone equivalent to UTC-5. I include it so the parliament will know when I will count votes and do other actions at certain times. Personally, I don't like the GMT format used before as the GMT line is five to six hours ahead of me.

OCC: If this edit creates a double post I apologize in advance.

OOC: I understand, but timing must not be at the pleasure of the one giving and making such time for a deadline or whatever, at the very least. It should be in favor and at the advantage of everyone, which is GMT. Even though, my time is not even at GMT. It has been the practice ever since, and we hope the Speaker, keeps it that way.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Kaevi on Sun May 04, 2014 9:24 pm

The time format will be reverted to GMT in all posts.
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Mon May 05, 2014 2:54 am

Kaevi wrote:The time format will be reverted to GMT in all posts.

Thanks!
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Kaevi on Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 am

After reading this act, I would like to ask some questions.

Zackalantis wrote:
Article I:
The WAEC will consist of an Election Commissioner as the head and any number of subordinate commissioners he chooses to appoint.

This seems counter-intuitive considering this is an act meant to make election proctoring more democratic. Would the appointed associate commissioners be eligible to run for parliament, council, etc.?

Zackalantis wrote:Article II:
The WAEC's election commissioner can only be a judge of the court in office and has a term of 1 year.

Considering the World Alliance only has three judges, this seems like we would get almost no variety in the option for commissioner. Perhaps a public vote similar to parliament elections that would determine the election commissioner?

Zackalantis wrote:
Section 2.
Article III:
The powers of the WAEC are as follows;
a) disqualification of candidature
b) barring a nation from participating in elections
c) ammending rules pertaining to elections
d) final athority on matters of dispute regarding elegibilty of candidacy
e) final athority on dispute between parties
f) full governing control over the region during election period

These two powers seem particularly dangerous. Given that what qualifies for disqualification and barring is not stated, the commissioner could easily pick and choose whomever he/she wishes for a potential candidate by narrowing the list of potential candidates.

Zackalantis wrote:Section 3.
Article VII:
The WAEC has the right to declare when the 'model code of conduct' is to come into play.

This again suffers from the clarification issue by not being very precise of what the best way to behave is during an election.

In conclusion, I feel that this bill could be refined to offer clarification on certain points in order to prevent corruption and possibly altering the candidate pool to enable a greater number of qualified individuals to become the election commissioner.
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Texania on Mon May 05, 2014 9:46 pm

Yes, this bill enforces a more authoritarian Government, not a democratic one.
avatar
Texania
Potential World Power

Posts : 641
Join date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Kaevi on Tue May 06, 2014 1:58 am

This act will be voted on simultaneously with the International Interventions Act, so please have your questions asked very soon. As a reminder, the voting period will last three days following the debate period.


Last edited by Kaevi on Tue May 06, 2014 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Events)
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Final Vote

Post  Kaevi on Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am

The debate term has expired without a valid petition to renew and the voting period will now begin. It shall end at 00:00 GMT on May 9, 2014, a time of three days. All parliament members are encouraged to voice their final vote of either agree, abstain, or against within the three day voting period.
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Texania on Tue May 06, 2014 9:25 am

I am Against
avatar
Texania
Potential World Power

Posts : 641
Join date : 2013-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Ireland on Tue May 06, 2014 9:37 am

The Empire of Ireland votes against 
avatar
Ireland
Recognized Power

Posts : 1327
Join date : 2013-12-01
Age : 17
Location : Macon, Georgia, USA

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_empire_of_ireland

Back to top Go down

Vote

Post  Kaevi on Tue May 06, 2014 9:38 am

AGAINST
avatar
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Posts : 220
Join date : 2014-04-18
Location : Alabama, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Tue May 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Eurussia, holding the WA Secretariat that conducts and administers international elections for the WA Government, officially submits our vote of abstention. Thank you.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Dromoda on Tue May 06, 2014 5:38 pm

The people's Congress of Dromoda vote's Agianst
avatar
Dromoda
Potential World Power

Posts : 783
Join date : 2013-02-06
Age : 21
Location : Kyongdong,Chengdao, Dromoda

Back to top Go down

Re: (Rejected) WA Election Commission Act

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum