(Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  New Rhodinia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:18 am

The WA Voting Reforms Act

Upon seeing recent failings of perfectly reasonable resolutions, I think it's about time we made sure some of these resolutions actually passed or otherwise received a fair ruling outside of "death by abstention". This legislation aims to alleviate any lame outcomes for any resolution that passes through the WASC.

The original plan for this legislation was brought up by Vice-President Xolox and as such, Xolox will be considered a co-author to this proposal.

Here are the proposals thus far:



  1. That nations failing to vote on propositions (and subsequently counted as abstentions) be excluded from the final vote tally.

  2. That the final vote requirement of 3/4 majority be abolished and instead replaced by a 2/3 majority ruling.

  3. That this proposed WA Voting Reforms Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.

  4. That (if necessary) we remind that nations under effect of any including resolution not be counted towards the final vote tally.

  5. That past resolutions (as of today, January 24, 2015) that have been dismissed via abstention saturation be re-evaluated under the guidelines of this proposed WA Voting Reforms Act.


Amendment: I'm extremely upset over how the previous proposal went. The third guideline CLEARLY states that this act would be following its own guidelines when in a vote. It never saw the opportunity to do so due to Great Eurussia's premature dismissal. I want to make it clear that this act, above any other currently in proposal, be affected by it's own guidelines. In addition, I will be continuously setting up this proposal until it gets the result it deserves.


Last edited by New Rhodinia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 324
Join date : 2014-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:52 am

Favor
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Xolox on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 am

My vote remains the same.
avatar
Xolox
Regional Power

Posts : 470
Join date : 2014-09-04
Age : 19
Location : Florida

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=xolox

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 am

Xolox wrote:My vote remains the same.

For the record, please cast your vote again.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

NOTICE

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 am

New Rhodinia wrote:
The WA Resolution Voting Act

Upon seeing recent failings of perfectly reasonable resolutions, I think it's about time we made sure some of these resolutions actually passed or otherwise received a fair ruling outside of "death by abstention". This legislation aims to alleviate any lame outcomes for any resolution that passes through the WASC.

The original plan for this legislation was brought up by Vice-President Xolox and as such, Xolox will be considered a co-author to this proposal.

Here are the proposals thus far:



  1. That nations failing to vote on propositions (and subsequently counted as abstentions) be excluded from the final vote tally.

  2. That the final vote requirement of 3/4 majority be abolished and instead replaced by a 2/3 majority ruling.

  3. That this proposed WA Resolution Voting Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.

  4. That (if necessary) we remind that nations under effect of any including resolution not be counted towards the final vote tally.

  5. That past resolutions (as of today, January 13, 2015) that have been dismissed via abstention saturation be re-evaluated under the guidelines of this proposed WA Resolution Voting Act.


Amendment: I'm extremely upset over how the previous proposal went. The third guideline CLEARLY states that this act would be following its own guidelines when in a vote. It never saw the opportunity to do so due to Great Eurussia's premature dismissal. I want to make it clear that this act, above any other currently in proposal, be affected by it's own guidelines. In addition, I will be continuously setting up this proposal until it gets the result it deserves.


This proposal may be debated/revised for three (3) days.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 am

New Rhodinia wrote:
The WA Resolution Voting Act

Eurussia suggests that the title be renamed as WASC Voting Reforms Act. And we suggest that there are clear mention if this will affect the executive voting, judicial voting, or just the legislative voting of the SC.
That nations failing to vote on propositions (and subsequently counted as abstentions) be excluded from the final vote tally.

Eurussia shares the same sentiment of disappointment for good proposals failing to pass due to lack of votes. However, please be reminded that the 75% approval votes was introduced to make the Security Council's decision to be truly representative across all continents.
And Eurussia believes that abstentions count as votes as well since it is a privilege of SC members to vote on the SC with the same level of voting in favor or against a proposal. 
However, we do share the same sentiment with New Rhodinia on absentions. And we are very particular with DEFAULT ABSTENTIONS which happens when an SC member doesn't vote at all. And we support that only this kind of abstentions should not be counted.


That the final vote requirement of 3/4 majority be abolished and instead replaced by a 2/3 majority ruling.
That this proposed WA Resolution Voting Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.
That (if necessary) we remind that nations under effect of any including resolution not be counted towards the final vote tally.


With our support regarding default abstentions, Eurussia is unconvinced on the change on the 75% approval votes since it represents the almost overall sentiment of the Security Council towards a certain proposal.


Amendment: I'm extremely upset over how the previous proposal went. The third guideline CLEARLY states that this act would be following its own guidelines when in a vote. It never saw the opportunity to do so due to Great Eurussia's premature dismissal. I want to make it clear that this act, above any other currently in proposal, be affected by it's own guidelines. In addition, I will be continuously setting up this proposal until it gets the result it deserves.

Eurussia would like to seek clarification on the issue of premature dismissal as the Presidency has not been aware of any proposal that have been dismissed from the voting floor of the SC without due process.


Thank you.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  New Rhodinia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 am

Great Eurussia wrote:Eurussia suggests that the title be renamed as WASC Voting Reforms Act. And we suggest that there are clear mention if this will affect the executive voting, judicial voting, or just the legislative voting of the SC.

This will just change the way that abstentions are counted. Now that you mention it, this should also apply to legislation as well, so we'll follow your recommendation.

Great Eurussia wrote:
Eurussia shares the same sentiment of disappointment for good proposals failing to pass due to lack of votes. However, please be reminded that the 75% approval votes was introduced to make the Security Council's decision to be truly representative across all continents.
And Eurussia believes that abstentions count as votes as well since it is a privilege of SC members to vote on the SC with the same level of voting in favor or against a proposal. 
However, we do share the same sentiment with New Rhodinia on absentions. And we are very particular with DEFAULT ABSTENTIONS which happens when an SC member doesn't vote at all. And we support that only this kind of abstentions should not be counted.

Great Eurussia wrote:With our support regarding default abstentions, Eurussia is unconvinced on the change on the 75% approval votes since it represents the almost overall sentiment of the Security Council towards a certain proposal.

I'm glad you share the same opinion on default abstentions; as for the 75% argument, please talk to Xolox about it since he was the one to suggest it in the first place.

Great Eurussia wrote:Eurussia would like to seek clarification on the issue of premature dismissal as the Presidency has not been aware of any proposal that have been dismissed from the voting floor of the SC without due process.

We were regarding the failure of the original version of this specific proposal, in which the request was that it would be put under a vote according to its own guideline, which lives on in this new proposal:

New Rhodinia wrote:That this proposed WA Resolution Voting Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.

We realize that the majority of anything put forth to the Security Council indeed go through a due process, but the results they find themselves in are exactly what this proposal (and my small rant, subsequently) is trying to remedy. Sorry if there was some miscommunication there.
avatar
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 324
Join date : 2014-09-22

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:30 am

New Rhodinia wrote:That this proposed WA Resolution Voting Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.

We realize that the majority of anything put forth to the Security Council indeed go through a due process, but the results they find themselves in are exactly what this proposal (and my small rant, subsequently) is trying to remedy. Sorry if there was some miscommunication there.


We appreciate all the clarifications. However, we believe that saying that a provision within a proposal that hasn't yet been passed should be used as the same guideline for the same proposal has no effect at all because the concerned proposal has not yet passed anyway.

However, for the benefit of everyone, whenever Eurussia submits a proposal, its government continue to make communications with all the concerned governments (via TG) to ensure that they are aware of the pending votes. One way are another, it is the duty of the one proposing to keep all the member states updated of its own pending proposal before the SC. The same as the Scouting Government always do to make their proposals be known to all member states of the Security Council.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Kingdom of Ireland on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 pm

In Favor
avatar
Kingdom of Ireland
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 387
Join date : 2014-09-06
Age : 17
Location : Georgia,USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Muchos Estados Unidos on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:12 pm

I am in favor
avatar
Muchos Estados Unidos
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 391
Join date : 2014-09-04

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Kingdom of Scottlands on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 am

Favour
avatar
Kingdom of Scottlands
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 314
Join date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Zanland on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 am

Favor
avatar
Zanland
Emerging Powerbroker

Posts : 85
Join date : 2014-09-05
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:50 am

I believe that the debating period is over and the time to cast votes has come.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

NOTICE

Post  Great Eurussia on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 am

New Rhodinia wrote:
The WA Voting Reforms Act

Upon seeing recent failings of perfectly reasonable resolutions, I think it's about time we made sure some of these resolutions actually passed or otherwise received a fair ruling outside of "death by abstention". This legislation aims to alleviate any lame outcomes for any resolution that passes through the WASC.

The original plan for this legislation was brought up by Vice-President Xolox and as such, Xolox will be considered a co-author to this proposal.

Here are the proposals thus far:



  1. That nations failing to vote on propositions (and subsequently counted as abstentions) be excluded from the final vote tally.

  2. That the final vote requirement of 3/4 majority be abolished and instead replaced by a 2/3 majority ruling.

  3. That this proposed WA Voting Reforms Act be affected by its own guidelines upon discussion and voting process.

  4. That (if necessary) we remind that nations under effect of any including resolution not be counted towards the final vote tally.

  5. That past resolutions (as of today, January 24, 2015) that have been dismissed via abstention saturation be re-evaluated under the guidelines of this proposed WA Voting Reforms Act.


Amendment: I'm extremely upset over how the previous proposal went. The third guideline CLEARLY states that this act would be following its own guidelines when in a vote. It never saw the opportunity to do so due to Great Eurussia's premature dismissal. I want to make it clear that this act, above any other currently in proposal, be affected by it's own guidelines. In addition, I will be continuously setting up this proposal until it gets the result it deserves.


The Presidency requests the proponent of the proposal if this motion will be withdrawn or be pushed forward into the voting proper. 

If such is the case, the similar petition calling for an emergency measured will be dismissed by the Presidency on the grounds that two member states of the Security Council,  New Rhodinia and Scouting, have conflicting views on the urgency on changing the vote requirements under the WASC Act which allowed the Presidency to consider the petition as an urgent motion which required emergency measure from the Presidency.

It is also noted that New Rhodinia and Scouting has joined the petition. One (1) day is given to the proponent to withdraw this proposal. Otherwise the petition will be cancelled outright since this legislative proposal has more legal weight since this is protected by existing law than a petition that only carried by the Presidency's action.

So ordered.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:07 am

To be clear, if voted on, does this law get voted on based on its own guidelines as suggested above?
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Great Eurussia on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am

UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:To be clear, if voted on, does this law get voted on based on its own guidelines as suggested above?

No. The proposal has no legal effect unless passed by the Security Council.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 am

Great Eurussia wrote:
UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:To be clear, if voted on, does this law get voted on based on its own guidelines as suggested above?

No. The proposal has no legal effect unless passed by the Security Council.

Thought so, wanted to have clarification though.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  New Rhodinia on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:06 pm

New Rhodinia hereby moves to abandon this proposal.
avatar
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 324
Join date : 2014-09-22

Back to top Go down

NOTICE

Post  Great Eurussia on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:20 pm

New Rhodinia wrote:New Rhodinia hereby moves to abandon this proposal.


Dismissed.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Dismissed) WA Voting Reforms Act

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum