(Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:25 am

I will be finalizing the agenda tomorrow, if you have any last minute changes or submissions, please do so now.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Opening & Agenda

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm



The Grand Opening of World Alliance's First Annual Environmental Conference

David Palmer, President of the World Alliance, Representative from Scouting

Welcome members of the World Alliance Security Council and other honorable guests, I hereby call this Conference into order. Please announce your arrival and take your seats. This is the agenda I have been given by the Secretary of the World Alliance Security Council, as confirmed by each nation's requested items:


  1. Illegal Whaling & Fishing - Corinthos (Vice-President of the WASC) - 1/2/2016 - 1/3/2016
  2. Publicize Tonnes of CO2 Emissions - Togana (Security Council Member) - 1/4/2016
  3. Promote Nuclear Power - ISIS (Security Council Member) - 1/5/2016
  4. Rising Sea Levels - Muchos Estados Unidos & Scottlands (Security Council Members) 1/6/2016
  5. Creating an Environmentally Sustainable World - Scouting (President of the WASC) 1/7/2016


Each nation will have one day's time to present. If the Vice-President is ready to present now, he may go ahead and do so, otherwise his time slot begins tomorrow. Each nation is expected to present their case for each subject in an timely and orderly fashion. If a case requires more than one day of discussion it may be extended subject to approval of my administration. If we finish more than one topic in a day, any excess time will be used to extend other discussion topics or to add on open discussion items at the end of the Conference. If we exceed the proposed end date, we will continue until all items are discussed, and take the experiences from this conference and consider them for next year. Thank you for participating in the first Conference of its kind! Let's make a difference!


Last edited by UnitedStatesOfScouting on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Corinthos on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:11 pm

Greetings!

The Republic of Corinthos would like to present the issue of illegal whaling and fishing, and overfishing aswell. As we all know, this is a great danger to the environment, because currently, international waters, being neutral areas, are not protected by any international law. Therefore even if some nations have passed national laws that prevent illegal fishing and whaling, it will not be enough, until it's accepted on an international level.

Therefore we propose:

A. International Whaling & Fishing Convention
The International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would be established to oversee the management of the whaling and fishing industry worldwide, in response to the rapid decline in the population of whales from whaling, and the environmental impact of overfishing.

B. Net Regulations
Driftnets and gillnets kill thousands of whales each year, therefore we propose establishing an international ban on driftnet fishing. As for gillnet regulations, we propose to make it unlawful for any person fishing with a gillnet to leave it unattended for more than two hours.

C. Pollution
Whale and fish populations are dying as a result of pollution of the oceans. Therefore we propose that it would become illegal for any nation to dump their waste in the oceans or seas in any form.

D. Ship Collisions with Whales
Collisions with ships are a major source of injury and death for many whales. Therefore we proposed to implement a mandatory ship reporting systems. When ships enter specific whale habitats, they must report to a shore-based station. The ships then receive a message about ship striking of whales, measures they can take to avoid ship strikes, and locations of recent sightings.

E. Overfishing
Overfishing of certain areas and/or species negatively effects the environment aswell, and can even lead to extinction of species. Therefore, the International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would, according to research and observation of certain areas and species, regulate the fishing industry in certain regions in which overfishing can pose a danger. The IWFC would release information about the areas yearly, categorising seas and species according to the Conservation Status.
avatar
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Posts : 112
Join date : 2015-07-21

Back to top Go down

Eurussian Ambassador

Post  Great Eurussia on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 pm

The Eurussian Ambassador to the World Alliance will grace the Conference.
avatar
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Posts : 5336
Join date : 2013-02-04

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Snarfian Federation on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:26 am

The Snarfian president will attend the Conference.
avatar
Snarfian Federation
Regional Power

Posts : 413
Join date : 2013-07-21
Location : Somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Ireland on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:02 am

The Chairman of the Irish Security Council Commission and the Minister for the Environment will attend this conference.
avatar
Kingdom of Ireland
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 387
Join date : 2014-09-06
Age : 17
Location : Georgia,USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:07 pm

Corinthos wrote:Greetings!

The Republic of Corinthos would like to present the issue of illegal whaling and fishing, and overfishing aswell. As we all know, this is a great danger to the environment, because currently, international waters, being neutral areas, are not protected by any international law. Therefore even if some nations have passed national laws that prevent illegal fishing and whaling, it will not be enough, until it's accepted on an international level.

Therefore we propose:

A.  International Whaling & Fishing Convention
The International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would be established to oversee the management of the whaling and fishing industry worldwide, in response to the rapid decline in the population of whales from whaling, and the environmental impact of overfishing.

B.  Net Regulations
Driftnets and gillnets kill thousands of whales each year, therefore we propose establishing an international ban on driftnet fishing. As for gillnet regulations, we propose to make it unlawful for any person fishing with a gillnet to leave it unattended for more than two hours.

C.  Pollution
Whale and fish populations are dying as a result of pollution of the oceans. Therefore we propose that it would become illegal for any nation to dump their waste in the oceans or seas in any form.

D.  Ship Collisions with Whales
Collisions with ships are a major source of injury and death for many whales. Therefore we proposed to implement a mandatory ship reporting systems. When ships enter specific whale habitats, they must report to a shore-based station. The ships then receive a message about ship striking of whales, measures they can take to avoid ship strikes, and locations of recent sightings.

E. Overfishing
Overfishing of certain areas and/or species negatively effects the environment aswell, and can even lead to extinction of species. Therefore, the International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would, according to research and observation of certain areas and species, regulate the fishing industry in certain regions in which overfishing can pose a danger. The IWFC would release information about the areas yearly, categorising seas and species according to the Conservation Status.



We agree with all measures of this proposal, however we would like some specifics and research shown to better understand Ship Collisions with Whales. We are not aware of this issue and would like more information before coming to a conclusion on that specific topic.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Scottlands on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:26 pm

His Majesty, King Ferdinand is coming
avatar
Kingdom of Scottlands
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 314
Join date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 am

Togana is up, Corinthos may respond to my inquiry at any time.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Togana on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:23 am

Togana can agree with all but the ship collisions. We feel that this is not a large enough issue to warrant the expense or effort. We can agree that the rest of the proposal can can be agreed by our people.
avatar
Togana
Emerging Powerbroker

Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Togana on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:05 am

The Peoples Republic of Togana brings forth a proposal to have all nations publicize their C02 emissions in tonnes produced. Togana realizes that getting every nation to simply agree to a cut in emissions this session is futile, as we all need to know where we stand on amount produced each year. Togana like all industrialized nations is a producer as well, we have heavy industry and mining that are harmful to the environment. We realize stopping these practices overnight is harmful to the entire worlds economy. Change cant happen overnight, it will take time. With that said we all need to find ways to reduce pollution and protect our planet.

We push for everyone to publicize their nations C02 Tonnes produced yearly. If other nations and the world know what these levels are, we can all work to lower them together without harming business.

We will be the first nation to produce our number. The Peoples Republic of Togana produced about 610,000 Tonnes of C02 last year. Almost all of our C02 emissions come from burning of fossil fuels; power plant, cars, and aircraft being the top contributors.
(OOC-mostly based on a nation the size and power of Germany)


Last edited by Togana on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Togana
Emerging Powerbroker

Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Corinthos on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Evidence of ship strikes comes from a range of sources including direct observations from vessels and examination of whale carcasses found floating at sea or washed up on the beach for evidence of collision. In some cases, whales become lodged on the bulbous bows of large vessels and frequently the crew only become aware of this when the ship enters port. However, for every incident that is observed and reported there will be many others that are missed. This makes assessing the conservation implications of ship strikes very difficult.

For some populations, where the whale population is living in areas where frequently used ship routes are located, the mortality rate is particularly high compared to the overall population size. It is thought that mortality due to ship strikes may make the difference between extinction and survival for this species and mitigation measures have been developed as discussed below. Reported numbers will never give accurate estimates of the numbers of whales involved and so there is a need for estimates based on an understanding of risk and relating this to densities of ships and whales.

If the honourable nations wish so, we could arrange a research to estimate the whale deaths caused by ship collision, before we pass a law regarding this. The Republic of Corinthos would be satisfied with the passing of the proposal without the ship collision part, there could be a later addition for that.
avatar
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Posts : 112
Join date : 2015-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Corinthos on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Togana wrote:The Peoples Republic of Togana brings forth a proposal to have all nations publicize their C02 emissions in tonnes produced. Togana realizes that getting every nation to simply agree to a cut in emissions this session is futile, as we all need to know where we stand on amount produced each year. Togana like all industrialized nations is a producer as well, we have heavy industry and mining that are harmful to the environment. We realize stopping these practices overnight is harmful to the entire worlds economy. Change cant happen overnight, it will take time. With that said we all need to find ways to reduce pollution and protect our planet.

We push for everyone to publicize their nations C02 Tonnes produced yearly. If other nations and the world know what these levels are, we can all work to lower them together without harming business.

We will be the first nation to produce our number. The Peoples Republic of Togana produced about 610,000 Tonnes of C02 last year. Almost all of our C02 emissions come from burning of fossil fuels; power plant, cars, and plains being the top contributors.


The Republic of Corinthos agrees to Togana's proposal. The Corinthian CO2 emmission is between 150.000 tonnes, as we have banned cars except for the military, police force and government officials. (However, police and government official use hybrid and electric cars.)
Our main CO2 emmission comes from heavy industry and the CO2 emmission of ships (most of our cargo ships use fossil fuel).
avatar
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Posts : 112
Join date : 2015-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Ireland on Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:33 am

Ireland produced 5.6 Million Tonnes of CO2 in 2013, 4.9 Million Tonnes in 2014, and 4.4 Million Tonnes in 2015. Please note that Ireland has a population of over 400 Million(I divide my statistics by 10) so we are due to have high emissions. We are also an industrialized nation. But in the past 2 years we have started to encourage more public transportation by raising the prices on cars, highway tolls, and raising gas prices. By doing this we have produced a robust public energy pumping billions into the economy. Not only this we have protected the environment by doing this and it has fueled a large tourism industry. The main consumers of our CO2 are cars, plants(factories), power plants, and planes. We have lowered them by 1 Million Tonnes in 2 years but we must not stop. With international cooperation we can come together and find greener solutions that will not hurt the economy. Such as developing hybrid buses that can travel longer distances and require less fuel. The United Kingdom hopes to lower carbon emissions by another 500,000-600,000 by the end of 2016.
avatar
Kingdom of Ireland
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 387
Join date : 2014-09-06
Age : 17
Location : Georgia,USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:04 am

I do not feel the reporting of CO2 tonnes should be forced. However, we recommend that a records keeping database be set up for Environmental statistics.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

NOTICE

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 am

Muchos Estados Unidos and Scottlands are up to present their concerns and scientific evidence on the rising sea levels. The discussion of tonnes of CO2 emissions may continue until MEU or Scottlands begins their discussion on the sea levels.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Scottlands on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Okay here is my take on rising sea levels. Because of high carbon emissions, the temperature is getting hotter melting ice sheets across the world. Then when they melt they become water added to the seas causing rise of sea level. When this happens, countries surrounded by waters like Scottlands will be submerged and our coastal cities will be the first victims. How do we resolve this?
avatar
Kingdom of Scottlands
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 314
Join date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:43 am

Kingdom of Scottlands wrote:Okay here is my take on rising sea levels. Because of high carbon emissions, the temperature is getting hotter melting ice sheets across the world. Then when they melt they become water added to the seas causing rise of sea level. When this happens, countries surrounded by waters like Scottlands will be submerged and our coastal cities will be the first victims. How do we resolve this?

What proof do you have to support this theory? As far as we can tell, we have not observed any changes to the ice caps.

OOC: Map changes have not signified any changes to tundra/ice levels.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Snarfian Federation on Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:03 am

The Snarfian Federation promotes more Enviroment protection to make this following car:



more affordable to issue a permanent discount on it.

It has a roof mounted solar panel which makes this car more EP and so emits no carbon dioxide emissions.

And when you drive a small windmill in the front of the car catches all the wind you take and stores the energy it produces for days when the sun isn't shining.
avatar
Snarfian Federation
Regional Power

Posts : 413
Join date : 2013-07-21
Location : Somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Ireland on Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:14 am

and about how much would this cost?
avatar
Kingdom of Ireland
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 387
Join date : 2014-09-06
Age : 17
Location : Georgia,USA

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Togana on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:40 pm

UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:I do not feel the reporting of CO2 tonnes should be forced. However, we recommend that a records keeping database be set up for Environmental statistics.
I see your point but if this number is known then steps can be taken in the future to lessen this. Also Togana can agree to Scottlands proposal. Resent weather patterns have shown that maybe the oceans are warming slightly; it is only gonna get worse if it is not fixed now.
avatar
Togana
Emerging Powerbroker

Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Scouting is not fully prepared for our presentation and will present on Sunday Evening. Please continue discussion of other topics.
avatar
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Posts : 970
Join date : 2014-11-03

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Kingdom of Scottlands on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:10 pm

It is a fact and we need to do something to alleviate it.
avatar
Kingdom of Scottlands
Emerging Regional Power

Posts : 314
Join date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Snarfian Federation on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:46 pm

Kingdom of Ireland wrote:and about how much would this cost?

That's still a disscussion. Things like that aren't cheap. But we want to make it affordable.
avatar
Snarfian Federation
Regional Power

Posts : 413
Join date : 2013-07-21
Location : Somewhere in a galaxy far far away...

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Togana on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:52 pm

With the President gone we should hold this topic open until he gets back. Also we should use this time to discuss the other issues brought forward.
avatar
Togana
Emerging Powerbroker

Posts : 58
Join date : 2014-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: (Approved - On-Going) First Annual Environmental Conference

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum